Would Students Want Another Foreign Language Class?

Senior Kiara Morris completes a Spanish assignment on Edgenuity. Students in Spanish classes have been completing all of their coursework on this online program since the departure of their teacher early in the school year.

Corinne DeWitt, Freshman

For many years, handfuls of students have been wanting another foreign language class other than Spanish to be offered at HHS. However, not many have made their interests in another language class known to school staff members – who could assist in implementing a new class at our school.

In a small, ten-person survey, we asked students if they’d be interested in another language class instead of just Spanish. Eight said yes. Out of those eight, six said they would want to learn French – making it the most popular answer.

“I do know that the history of Hancock is that we used to offer foreign language – so we used to offer a French class,” Ms. Steinhauff, a school counselor, said. However, we haven’t had one in the last 20 years at Hancock. We don’t know why they stopped. One of the possible causes is a loss of interest from the students. 

“Right now, with the students who are interested in foreign language, the numbers are so small that we need to stick with Spanish. If more students were interested in taking another language, we could continue,” Ms. Badami, another school counselor, said. 

If the majority of the small handful of students we asked would want a French class, then how many more students would want a French class school-wide? If at least a few of these students would express their interests to the right people, we may be able to bring it back. Some of the “right people” include school counselors. 

“You could come to us and we can take the idea to the principals,” Ms. Steinhauff said. 

The school counselors assist in making the master schedule and adding new classes. 

“The first thing we do is see what the electives are that students actually want,” Ms. Steinhauff said. “We essentially build the master schedule from the electives that the students choose and what are the most prevalent ones.”

The school does currently offer an alternative to Spanish –  the STLCC program. Students could earn dual credit and take a French, Arabic, Chinese, German, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish class through STLCC online if wanted.