The HHS ‘Melting Pot’

Lana Ejneid and Drina Dullovi

HHS is a small school, but it has so many students from different countries such as Mexico, Bosnia, Iraq, Somalia, Syria, Albania, Kurdistan, Afghanistan, Congo, France, Germany, and more. 

Here are a few of these students:

Sophomore Lindsey Mendez (left) is from Mexico but she was born in America. She enjoys the people, and the candy that Mexico has. Mexico has a special tradition called Dia de Reyes.

Rosca de Reyes is a Kings Cake that is eaten on Dia de Reyes which is January 6. Mexicans eat bread after Christmas in Christianity. Every rosca de reyes has a baby which represents the newborn messiah.

“If you get the baby in your slice, you have to cook tamales for everyone on Feb. 2, or Candelaria Day,” Mendez said.

Mendez visited her country and her favorite part about the visit was the beaches. She also loves the food in Mexico. Her favorite foods are “tacos” and “pambazos.” Pambazo is a sandwich made of a certain type of bread stuffed with potatoes and chorizo and then drenched in a gualligo sauce, served with lettuce, cheese, and cream.

Senior Safia Said-Abeid (center) is from Somalia, Mukadisha. Their tradition is to make a huge meal and eat on the floor together and pray together. Her favorite food is samosa which is a spicy meat mixture folded into a dough pastry and fried. They also go to Friday prayers and participate in charities. 

“What I like about my country is the amount of connections and bonds you make with people,” Said-Abeid said. “I have a lot of aunts and uncles and cousins in Somalia, literally everyone is related.”

Sophomore Veen Issa (right) is from Kurdistan. She was born in her country and moved to America. In Issa’s country, they celebrate Nawroz which is the arrival of spring and new year in the Kurdish culture. They celebrate with dancing, singing, eating foods, and doing fireworks. They also cut spring flowers such as tulips and hyacinths, and new clothes are worn.

I like that my country is very distinct and beautiful,” Issa said. “My favorite food from my country is dolma, which is grape leaves stuffed with rice.”