Tiger Tutoring Gains Interest

Rodney Martin, Junior

Do you need a quiet place to study? Tiger Tutoring is a regular after school program that is run by Ms. Barfield which all students are allowed to attend. In previous years the program hadn’t been as well-attended as this year.

“There is always an uptick in attendees near the end of each report card, but overall this year, I have seen a steady stream of like 20-25 people at least every time,” Barfield said.

Of course, Tiger Tutoring has its regulars.

“There is a core group of people who attend saying that tutoring is an easy way for them to keep their grades up,” Barfield said.  “I also have a group that just likes to have a quiet place after school to hang and talk. The other third of the attendees change based on who needs help.”

The atmosphere in the library changes depending on the attendance.  

“I can say, without a doubt, that everyone who goes to tutoring has their reasons for doing so and are typically very consistent,” Junior Madison Puckett said. “The atmosphere can be loud and talkative, and it can be quiet. I think that’s my favorite thing about Tiger Tutoring; there is something there for everyone.” 

Tiger Tutoring might not just be a place where students go to work, some might hang out or decompress. 

“A mixture of both, which is what I love about tutoring,” Puckett added. “While tutoring is a place for you to crack down on your work, and can also be a place of communication and collaboration. There are some students who I know go just to hang out and there are students I know to go and work the entire time.” 

Tiger Tutoring may be a place where students come to get help on work, get work done, and even just relax and decompress with friends as long as you aren’t interrupting people who are working.

Freshman Jayden Berry, another Tiger Tutoring regular, comes to decompress after school. “Tiger Tutoring is really calm, a cool place to work and chill, and overall, a good vibe,” he said.