The Change of Times

Anna Tisdale, Senior Editor

On February 8th 2023, Hancock School District hosted an informational meeting open to all parents and children K-12 to share information for the upcoming changes to the 2023-2024 school year and beyond. High School principal Mr. David Williams led this meeting where over 125 parents showed up.

Students coming into the next school year at HPHS, HPMS, HPES will experience many changes in not only academic performance but also social relations and improvements.

There will be a revised grading system – a four-point proficiency scale system. In this system, students will be accurately graded based on their knowledge of the subject area.

“With this new grading system I feel like our students will be able to excel and thrive with their education,” Principal Mr. David Williams said.

As assignments are being graded and given back to students, there will be feedback given on their level of proficiency. Such feedback is targeted to help them understand where to focus next to improve their learning.

“Implementing all of these changes such as a 4-point grading scale, no more busy work being given, and no more extra credit, will help improve the quality of this school district drastically,” Williams said.

The new block schedule will also include Target Learning Time, which is a time when students can work with specific teachers on any homework given. From a parent’s perspective, this will be a welcomed change.

“I think that it will benefit the students who don’t do homework or have the time to have this extra time to work,” the Parent of an HHS kid Amanda Sluka said.

There are a few things that students and parents will no longer see in the district. There will no longer be excessive late points, zeros on assignments students tried on, extra credit points, prohibitions on redos/retakes on tests and quizzes, etc.

With all of these new changes, there were many reactions to this from the parents of students. The major reaction was an outpour of support.

“I am looking forward to seeing where this goes and if there is anything that I can do as a parent to assist please let me know. You all have my full support,” the Parent of an HHS kid Dominic Tessmer said.