RHR Coins Putting the Roar into Hancock

Jeffery+Carrera+%2811%29+is+called+down+to+the+center+of+the+gym+to+receive+his+award+for+winning+the+Quarterly+RHR+coin+drawing.+Carrera+picked+out+the+Oculus+VR+headset+as+his+prize.+

Jeffery Carrera (11) is called down to the center of the gym to receive his award for winning the Quarterly RHR coin drawing. Carrera picked out the Oculus VR headset as his prize.

Miranda Guss and Shauntavia Conway

At HHS, students can earn RHR (Roar) coins for being responsible, respectful, and honorable students. You simply have to show good character and you will receive a coin from a staff member. Once you receive a coin, you will take it to the front office where you can pick a prize from the prize case. Your name will then be entered into the quarterly drawing for a big prize. 

“Everyone in this building deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. And we want to promote that overarching value,” Mr. David Williams said.

During the first quarter, we had 225 RHR coins given out to students. Then, during the second quarter, 118 RHR coins have been given out as of December, 8th. That makes 343 in total so far. On average, about six kids daily show up to the office to turn in their RHR coin during the first quarter. 

“We still have another month to go,” Mrs. Joyce Sauter said, “so I think we’ll end up with more this quarter.”

The coins were created by our new principal, Mr. Williams. Williams has used the coin system at previous schools. The coins have been earned for a number of reasons such as tutoring, picking up trash, cleaning spills, helping others, and de-escalating negative situations. 

Certain teachers such as Courtney Denton and Laura Leyes Woods have been known for giving out the most coins. 

“I usually give them out to students who are being helpful. I also try to give them to students who just consistently do the right thing without having to be told or reminded,” Leyes wood said. 

“I used a similar format at another school. We didn’t have coins, we had these tickets just kind of like little pieces of paper that we handed out to kids,” Williams said. 

Receiving a RHR coin is a prize in itself. You will also earn another prize when you turn in your RHR coin. You can earn items like food, drink, accessories, Hancock merch, school supplies, gift cards, and pop sockets. 

“Which it’s kind of cool, it’s like a novelty,” Williams said. 

Although many students have earned well over a few coins, a few students stand out with five RHR coins. Over the first quarter and a portion of the second quarter,

Hailey McKay, Kegan Price, Raevyn Hicks, and Riley Gall have accumulated these coins by being responsible, respectful, and honorable.  

Gall has received RHR coins for showing responsible, respectful, and honorable characteristics in her daily life. One of the  RHR coins she received was because she is ahead in her Spanish Edgenuity class. Another for holding the door open for a student.

“Well there’s always going to be someone that’s always going to do something that helps someone else,” Gall said.