Five Veteran Staffer Say Their Goodbye’s

Madison Puckett, Sophomore Editor

I spoke with five staff members who will not be returning to HHS next year, here is what they have to say. 

Mrs. Dana Skrabacz

What are your plans for after this school year?

“Next year I will be the new Assistant Principal at Oakville High School.”  

What is something you will always remember about your time at HHS? 

“I will always remember the incredible relationships I have made with staff and students. This is my home and you all are my family.” 

Any parting words you would like to share with the people of HHS? 

“Thank you for supporting me these last 10 years! I have learned so much from all of you. You inspire me and the amazing things I’ve watched you do are the reason I wanted to go into administration – to be an advocate for awesome teachers so they can continue to thrive.” 

Any advice you would like to give to whoever is taking your current position?

“Best piece of advice – take the time to build meaningful relationships with your students and colleagues. It makes every other part of the job easier and so much more fun!” 

Favorite accomplishment during your time at HHS?

“Creating a space each day for students to experience success and helping them realize how valuable their contributions are to our school community.” 

Mrs. Kristina Crowley

What is next for you after this school year?

“I am headed to teach FACS at Oakville High School. I graduated from there and my family lives in that area so I am really excited to be back there.” 

“Something I’ll always remember from my time at HHS is the relationships I formed with my students. It is what drives me to be better and is my favorite part of my day!”

What are some parting words you would like to give to the people of HHS?

“Some parting words for my students would be to never apologize for who you are as a person. That’s what makes you, you! My parting words for the staff is thank you for supporting me through this year and all the chaos.” 

Any advice for whoever is taking your position? 

“The advice I have for someone coming into this position is to have fun. If you’re not having fun, neither are the students. The students need more hands-on learning and will cherish those moments with you more than bookwork.” 

Accomplishment at HHS you are most proud of? 

“The accomplishment at HHS that I am most proud of is all the time the students got to spend cooking in the kitchens. I feel that by closely watching the budget and planning well, students were able to explore in the kitchens more than ever!” 

Dr: Shelly Vogler

“My husband and I are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our eleventh grandchild in July, which will keep us very busy.  We will travel to Ft. Myers Beach, Florida, and Bar Harbor, Maine with friends and family for rest, relaxation, and lobster.  Travel and grandchildren are at the top of the retirement list!!”  

What is something you will always remember about your time at HPHS?

“I will always remember the wonderful traditions and families at HPHS.  It has been rewarding to teach the children and grandchildren of my former students.  I will cherish the relationships and truly appreciate each time I see an alumnus and we reminisce about all of the great traditions like freshmen home visits, spirit week, homecoming, the Outing, senior appreciation week, graduation, the senior breakfast, and all of the great competitions in the Dome and at Heine Meine.” 

What are some parting words you would like to give to the people of HPHS? 

“To the students:  do whatever it takes to achieve your dreams and never give up.  To staff:  Always remember your why.  To parents and the community:  please continue to be supportive of education, the partnership is invaluable.” 

“Always do what is educationally in the best interest of students and truly care about our kiddos, the staff, and the parents/community.” 

Accomplishments at HPHS you are most proud of?

“There are so many wonderful things like earning State School of Character, National School of Character, receiving Promising Practices Awards and recognition as a top school by US News and World Report stand out, but I have to say the impact creating the PAWS program has had on the graduation rate is a great source of pride for me.” 

Mrs.Heather Mattingly

“I will be working at Villa Duchesne School as their Educational Technology Specialist/librarian/ Registrar.”

“There is so much to remember! However, the friendships I’ve made with colleagues, students, and parents are what I will remember the most.” 

If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello,” quote by Paula Coelho.”  

“Buena Suerte!”  

“I am most proud of receiving the honor of HS teacher of the year in the 2015-2016 school year.”  

Mrs. Dina Cassidy

I plan to stay in St.Louis near my kids, read more, travel more, sleep in every day, embroider cute baby items, hang out with my dog, lunch with my friends, golf with my husband, plan a wedding with my daughter, organize my closets, and volunteer at home sweet home.” 

“The students definitely! Being able to watch them grow from 6th-grade orientation to graduation. Others staying in touch on Facebook.” 

“Stay positive as much as possible! It’s not your circumstances that affect you, as much as your reaction to them that matters.” 

“Mrs. Dunn will do an awesome job! I would just say to try and continue the maker space as much as time allows. Paint by number, etc.”  

“The friends I made with my fellow teachers, staff members, and students will follow me into my retirement.”