New Teacher Feature: Ms. Olivia Jordan

Amira Caradine, Senior

Ms. Olivia Jordan is one of the new ELA teachers this year. She is also one of our new volleyball coaches for the Hancock Tigers. 

Coming to HHS and it being her first year teaching she has felt very welcome at Hancock.

“It has been challenging, but I am having a good time,” Jordan said. “I think with any new situation there will be growing pains, but my colleagues have been a god-send. And as I get to know students better we are definitely having more fun and getting more accomplished in the classroom!” 

Ms. Jordan grew up in Moweaqua, Illinois, and graduated from Illinois College and came straight into teaching at Hancock.  She chose Hancock because of the size of the classes and its some things she’s used to since she’s from a small town.

“I looked at a lot of different schools in St.Louis when I was applying. Coming from a small town myself, Hancock’s small class sizes appealed to me compared to some of the massive schools close by,” Jordan said.

Ms. Jordan chose to teach high school for a couple different reasons.

“First, I really enjoy English and wanted to be able to actually discuss the subject whereas you are not able to do that as much in the younger grades,” Jordan said. “Secondly, I knew I wanted to be a teacher, but I think little kids are kinda gross.” 

In addition to being an English teacher she was also Hancock’s newest volleyball coach.

“I enjoyed volleyball. It was comforting coming in on the first day of class already knowing some of my students. The volleyball team absolutely improved tremendously which was incredibly rewarding.”

Ms. Jordan is looking forward to a great school year with her students and co-workers.

“I am looking forward to getting to know my students and co-workers more as the school year goes on.”

She is the youngest in her family of all girls.

“I have two older sisters who are both married, so I have two brothers-in-law as well! My sister has two boys who are the absolute best.”

She has a lot of hobbies that she enjoys doing outside of school.

“I love singing and listening to great singers, so I spend a lot of time just listening and looking for new music. Surprise, surprise, I also love to read and enjoy curling up with a nice book.”