What Are They Doing?

Senior Jordan White works in the library on her Spanish Class online.

Anna Tisdale, Senior Editor

As second semester begins, students in Spanish and FACS classes continue to find themselves without a teacher certified in that content area. Ms. Delgado resigned as the Spanish teacher shortly into the school year, and Mrs. Winter vacated the FACS teaching position near the end of the semester. These classrooms have been placed with temporary substitutes until a replacement teacher can be found. 

HHS Principal Mr. David Williams is actively looking for teachers to fill these positions as soon as possible. The Spanish position is currently posted and applicants are currently being looked into. While Mrs. Winter’s classes will be placed with a temporary substitute for the remainder of the year due to the difficulties that come with this position of teaching two separate subjects. 

“We are doing everything we can to get teachers in those classes as soon as possible,” Williams said. “Second semester we hope to have a new Spanish Teacher and a long-term substitute for FACS. They [students] will also be graded normally as if they had a teacher.”

Students in Spanish have been assigned content in Edgenuity. All while FACS students are finishing up projects from the previous teacher’s assignments and even starting to get back into the kitchen with the assistance of temporary substitute Ms. Denise Downing. Downing has filled in for both Spanish and FACS classes this semester.

“In Foods, we have baked brownies and are working on writing appreciation notes to staff members,” Ms. Downing said. 

Due to the differences in topics of the classes, each class has been doing different assignments for their course.

“We have been using Edgenuity ever since our teacher resigned, I feel like it isn’t the best since many students see it as a now throw-away class, but I like it,” Junior Zachariah Robinson, a student in both Spanish and FACS class, said. 

Although these classes have temporary substitutes in class trying to help guide the classes, it has created some new disruptions in the environment of the classroom.

“It’s been chaotic because some kids are loud, but other than that, it has been interesting,“ Junior Brooklyn Alivernia, a student in Spanish class, said.