Second Semester Schedule Changes

Mr.Jenkins+working+through+students+schedules+

Mr.Jenkins working through students schedules

Things are going to look a little different here at HHS next semester.

On January 19th, 2021 students’ schedules will be changed to accommodate their needs. Most classes will be only virtual or in person, with the small exception of a couple of hybrid classes. 

“When I learned a little more about it I was upset and angry,” DeAnna Haynes-McGinnist (10) said. “It seemed like there was nothing for us to do about it and that we had no choice. I didn’t want and still don’t want to have to choose between any of my classes. Students in that class have worked hard to get there.” 

Many student’s schedules will be flipped inside out when the second semester starts. Only a few classes will stay as is or be available at the same hour. 

“As a result, a virtual schedule needed to be created which takes away from teacher in-person availability. ACTP and AP classes are the only exceptions to this rule,” Counselor James Jenkins said. “Students who are taking honors classes will not see much change to their schedules.”

These changes will help lighten the extra workload that many teachers had to pick up. Making grades able to be more often updated. 

“I think the reason behind the schedule change is to help promote student learning. Since there are two different platforms (virtual and in-person) happening simultaneously, it can be challenging for all students to have the assistance they need,” Mathematics teacher David Tidwell said.

Student learning is very important which sparked the idea for these class changes. Removing most hybrid classes is targeted to boost the student’s ability to learn and focus. 

“The idea behind the schedule change was so that teachers and students were a part of a “homogenous” class,” Mathematics teacher and department head Michelle DeFosset said. “Meaning we are all either in person or virtual. This would allow us to focus on one or the other. Right now, students at home don’t always get the attention they need or deserve, they sometimes feel left out. Right now the administration is doing everything they can to make sure students’ needs are being met.”

When the news first broke, many students instantly started to worry that their academics would be greatly affected.  

“My first feeling when I heard about the schedule changes was that my whole schedule was going to change and I would have my results quickly. I still don’t have my answers as to what will happen with my schedule. I am one who fears the unknown,” Lydia LaVine (11) said.

Many students whose schedules are being changed are worried there will be a drastic change in their honors and AP classes. 

“The teachers push them and know how much they can accomplish. Also, honors classes look good on college applications to those interested in going to college,” Lindsey Kuykendall (12) said.

Some teachers hope that the schedule change will bring about more of an easier day for the virtual students, that they will be able to learn to their greatest ability. 

“I hope that we will establish a better connection with virtual students that have fallen behind by having hours dedicated to solely virtual instruction,” Government and Psychology teacher and department head Dana Skrabacz said.