The Growler

Character Education Site Visit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Character Education Site Visit

Mrs. Rebecca Sipos from Character.org visits the Journalism classroom along with Mr. Veldhuizen and the seniors who were leading her on a tour of the school.

Nancy Licea, Sophomore Writer

On Friday, April 29, Rebecca Sipos, a representative from Character.org visited our our school. The observational visit was made to help decide whether or not Hancock Place High School qualifies to become a National School of Character. In 2014 we applied to become a National School of Character but did not get it, although we became a State School of Character in 2018.  

In order to become a National School of Character we must align with the eleven principles from Character.org

Mr. Veldhuizen reassures that character education is not only enacted on Wednesday’s with our senior mentors, but also through our posters and in our hallways.

“You guys live and breathe Character Ed. everyday, when you work in the classroom and you work in pairs and partners or collaboratives.  The Socratic circles, the things like that are Character Ed. That’s the team work, and that’s the collaboration,” Veldhuizen said.

Veldhuizen supervised the visit. “It recognizes all the great things we do here, the students, the staff, everybody it really reinforces it. We like to see that our hard work pays off.” He added, “We want to get feedback as well. If they are saying ways that we can improve our schools, we want to implement that as best we can.”

Mr. Tom Dittrich and Mr. Pete Moleski were involved. The parents were involved to showcase the schools relationship with parents and the community. 

Seniors Haris Duracak, Alexis Marsala, Mikael Schultheis, and Lejla Ugarak led Sipos on a tour of our high school. They began the tour during breakfast in the cafeteria, then worked their way to classrooms from each core subject, to electives, to the PAWS room, and then to the cafeteria for first lunch.

Lejla Ugarak described their job as “essentially trying to give our perspective about what we know about the school and just showing her around.” In her opinion she believes that we deserve to become a school a character.

Vice principal Mr. Veldhuizen expects to hear results in mid May.