Are You SAD?

While Winter Brings the Blues for Many, a Few Get Something Worse

Back to Article
Back to Article

Are You SAD?

Eliza Adams, Senior Editor

Ever notice how when the winter fades in you seem to fade out? It is common to get the blues, about one in four people experience that. About 1 in 20 people, though, are affected by what is known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and it is most common in the winter months.

There are more cases of SAD in the winter. The cold, holidays, and amount of  interactions we have to have are the main reasons this happens.

“I don’t see as much depression happening before the holidays as I do afterwards,” HHS counselor Ms. Steinhauff says, “because there’s nothing for people to look forward too; there are no breaks or exciting holidays.”

While it is unknown exactly why people are experiencing seasonal depression, some experts think that your biological clock, melatonin and serotonin levels play a role.

“I think I see a combination of reasons behind seasonal depression,” FACS teacher Ms. Madison Avery said. “It’s getting dark outside and my classroom is even dark. Some students just lose motivation.”

The Mayo Clinic has some ways to combat SAD:

• Light therapy- being exposed to bright light when you wake up
  • Psychotherapy- learning and talking about how to cope with emotions
  • Medications- sometimes medication is needed to treat SAD
  • Mind-body connections- things like music and meditations help. As well as positive thinking.

Senior Lejla Ugarak added, “People are like plants; they need lots of sunlight. That’s why I’m keeping my blinds open this year, and I can feel the difference.”