The Growler

A New Journey

Senior Krystal Williams Discovers a Better Lifestyle

Back to Article
Back to Article

A New Journey

Senior Krystal Williams shakes her recruiter's hand after enlisting in the Army on September 11, 2018.

Destiny Watson, Senior Writer

Senior Krystal Williams wants to be in the military. After officially enlisting on September 11th. She started training with her recruiters. This was the moment she realized she needed to get into better shape.

“My inspiration for bettering myself was to fulfill my dream of becoming a soldier in the Army,” she said.

Her fitness journey began last summer. She adopted a strict diet and workout plan to get in shape. After pushing her limits and and working hard, she lost a tremendous amount weight.

“When I started this hard journey I was 179 lbs. Once my recruiters started helping me and working out with me every day it helped me significantly. I am now at 142 lbs.”

Even as school was in session what Krystal still managed to keep her diet in check. Instead of going for the nacho or hamburger line, she goes to the salad bar instead.

“Being in school makes the diet part of this easier since I’m not tempted to really eat any of the school food,” Williams said.

She works out at Club Fitness after school and softball practice. Even on days she doesn’t feel like working out, she still pushes through to at least get a small workout in before she goes to home to do school work.

The hard work and discipline has helped her gain more than just physical confidence, but also mental confidence.

“I feel 100% better about myself now that I have lost about 40 lbs,” Williams said.  “I am more confident than I have ever been, and I feel way healthier as well.”

Though the results were slow at first she still pushed through the doubtfulness and worked for her goal.

After graduation this May, Williams leaves on June 18th for basic training.

“I would love to get down to around 135 lbs before I ship out,” she said.

She hopes to be a combat engineer. “I’m hoping I get to travel to different countries and see the world,” she said.

The experience for her has been an eye opener for her and made her realized how much better she feels about everything around her.  

“This experience was life changing to me. I never thought I would be able to lose this weight until my recruiters pushed me to my limits and made sure I got to my goal weight. I have a better outlook on life now, and if it weren’t for my recruiters, I have no idea where I would be today.”