Learning that Clicks

Academic labs provide opportunity for HHS students earn college credit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Learning that Clicks

Senior, Lejla Ugarak working on her essay for her phycology through UMSL

Lindsey Kuykendall

Lindsey Kuykendall

Lindsey Kuykendall

Lindsey Kuykendall, Sophomore Writer

Did you know that you could take online college classes while you are in high school?

HHS offers online classes through UMSL called the Kick start program, which some of the seniors are taking. We also offer online classes through STLCC. They are taught online by an instructor at the university, but students can still get credit at the university and high school level if they pay and pass the class.

One of the appeals of taking online classes is the convenience.  “I can work on the class whenever I want and have time,” Haris Duracak (12) said.

The courses also present a different challenge, in that a teacher is not standing in the room ready to help. “I have to challenge myself to learn it myself which I believe has helped me grow as a student,” Haris said.

According to Lejla Ugarak (12), the classwork is academically easier to get done, “It might be a higher level of thinking, but you definitely have more time to do each assignment,”

If students want to take an online class (through STLCC) there are a couple steps you have to take before you can. First, they have to apply for dual enrollment. Then they are given an ID number to be able to enroll to take the ACCUPLACER. Once they have taken the ACCUPLACER, they are able to register for online classes. They provide the registration documentation to Mrs.Steinhauff or Mrs. Mallory and then Mrs.Steinhauff adds an acad. lab to their schedule.

Students usually work in the guidance office in their academic lab. “Normally, students do really well with online dual enrollment classes because it allows them to work at their own pace individually,” Mrs. Steinhauff said.