The Growler

The Apocalypse Begins

Amber Stewart, Sophomore Editor

American Horror Story is written by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. The show is an American anthology horror series. Each season follows a different theme. Previous seasons include  Murder House and Coven, which season eight will be a crossover of the two. Season eight premiered on Wednesday, September 12th. The theme is Apocalypse.

The first episode, “The End”, started off as any regular apocalypse. There’s an alert that gets sent out and people panic. The overall feel at the beginning of the episode gives a “Fear the Walking Dead” vibe. It switches from a group of people escaping on a plane to a husband being left behind to a son being taken from his family. Compared to other seasons, Apocalypse is starting out pretty slow and lame.

The episode starts by people learning about the world ending by atomic bombs. Coco St. Pierre Vanderbilt, Mr. Gallant, Evie Gallant, and Mallory, escape onto a plane which doesn’t have any pilots on board. The plane crashes and the four people on board wake up in a bunker. This is where Timothy Campbell, the son and Emily also wake up. A woman by the name of Billie Dean Howard informs the people they are in an underground bunker. They were chosen because of their genetic makeup, which is immune to the atomic bomb radiation.  

The story line so far is confusing. You’re trying to figure out who these new characters are and where the characters from Murder House and Coven are. There are no connections to Murder House or Coven.

As the episode goes on, the characters learn about what the bunker can offer them. Although the entire group is immune, they may not leave the bunker and must follow the rules. If they leave the bunker, they may not come back.

The episode ends by skipping eighteen months later, to where the bunker has gone down hill. The food is running out and the host of the bunker is panicking. Skipping eighteen months is a big time gap although it speeds up time. It leads to questioning what happened during those eighteen months. Coco at the start of the episode is energetic. Towards the end of the episode, she has lost all hope. Timothy and Emily have started a relationship. But, they are hiding it from the rest of the group.  

In the final scene before the episode ends, a man arrives at the bunker which is known as Michael Langdon. He was sent from Cooperative and will be the one to choose who gets to survive. There is a connection, Michael Langdon was first introduced in Murder House as the child of Vivien Harmon and Tate Langdon.  

The episode is confusing. Trying to piece different puzzles together to what’s going on. Although, the episode is confusing to understand, the next episode should be more interesting. To tune into the next episode, American Horror Story airs Wednesdays at 9:00pm on FX.